WILLEM JANSZOON BLAEU
(1571 - 1638)
the world famous cartographer was born at Uitgeest
At the beginning of the seventeenth century Amsterdam was becoming one of the wealthiest trading cities in Europe, the base of the Dutch East India Company and a centre of banking, spices and the diamond trade, its people noted for their intellectual skills and splendid craftsmanship.
At this favourable time in the history of the Northern Provinces, Willem Janszoon Blaeu, was born in Uitgeest near the town of Alkmaar in 1571. He was the son of Jan Willemszoon Blaeu, a fishmonger from Wieringen who settled at Uitgeest, and Stijntge N.N. a native of the town. He married Marit Cornelisdochter from Uitgeest, was trained in astronomy and the sciences with Tycho Brahe, the celebrated Danish astronomer, and founded a business in Amsterdam in 1599 as a globe and instrument maker. It was not long before the business expanded, publishing maps, topographical works and books of sea charts as well as constructing globes. His most notable early work was a map of Holland (1604), a fine World Map (1605-06) and Het Licht der Zeevaert (The Light of Navigation), a maritime atlas, which went through many editions in different languages and under a variety of titles. At the same time Blaeu was planning a major atlas intended to include the most up-to-date maps of the whole of the known world. He bought between 30 and 40 plates of the Mercator Atlas from Jodocus Hondius II to add to his own collection so he was able to publish, in 1630, a 60-map volume with the title Atlantis Appendix. It was another five years before the first two volumes of his planned world atlas, Atlas Novus or the Theatrum Orbis Terrarum were issued and about this time he was appointed to and titled Hydrograph to the East India Company.
In 1638 Blaeu died and the business passed into the hands of his sons, Joan and Cornelis, who continued and expanded their father's ambitious plans. After the death of Cornelis, Joan directed the work alone and the whole series of 6 volumes was eventually completed in about 1655. As soon as it was finished he began the preparation of the even larger work, the Atlas Major, which reached publication in 1662 in II volumes (later editions in 9-12 volumes) and contained nearly 6oo double-page maps and 3,000 pages of text. This was, and indeed remains, the most magnificent work of its kind ever produced. Perhaps its geographical content was not as up-to-date or as accurate as its author could have wished, but any such deficiencies were more than compensated for by the fine engraving and colouring, the elaborate cartouches and pictorial and heraldic detail and especially the splendid calligraphy